Thursday, August 6, 2009

If You Love It, Let It Go. Then Eat It.

Well, I thought to myself, "Wow, now that I have this fantastic new iPhone, I'll be able to take pictures of everything I eat and then post it straight to my blog!" But then it turned out the photos were kind of eh. So I posted 'em.

Anyway, Hearth is doing this fantastic weekly pig roast this summer (and if you act quick, you can eat this post, too). I went with the gang, and, well, why don't I show you what went down.

The first course consisted of a frisée salad with gorgonzola, fried shallots, and a warm bacon vinaigrette. What made this salad so amazing? The fact that it didn't feel arbitrary like most salads. Gorgonzola was the perfect complement to the bacon vinaigrette (where can I acquire bacon vinegar?).


Next appetizer was pork terrine avec pickled vegetables served with a delightful mustard. This might have been the only dish I'd dub "okay, I guess. I'm still gonna eat it." However, the house mustard was fantastic and after a liberal application, the terrine went down delightfully.

The main course was roast suckling pig served with cannelini beans. How can I convey with words the most delicious suckling pig I've ever had? The meat was tender, the skin enhancing its fatty goodness, baby pig teasing your tastebuds like a drunk seventeen year old. It was served with a swiss chard (not pictured) cooked with cream, bread crumbs, and flavor. It made me appreciate vegetables more (probably 'cause of the cream).

Oh, what's up, fruit pie? The first sweet pie to be featured on SSRIs & Rhubarb Pies! The crust was flaky, the pie's sweetness stemming from the not overly-sugared fruit and creamy vanilla ice cream.

If you do end up going to the pig roast, and I highly recommend it, skip the wine and/or beer pairing. The beer pairing was two bottles of Brooklyn Brewery's more forgettable brews (but a palatable dessert cider). The wine was decent, but I also don't understand wine and won't make any effort to.

Also, where can I get me one of those sweet cameras with depth of field?

1 comment:

  1. You want a Canon Powershot. Ebay one of their older models for sweet, cheap DOF goodness...

    ReplyDelete